Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pumpkin Table Runner ~ TOP done!

Well, I'm happy to report that at my CMQG quilt retreat (yeah, I know, I haven't talked about it AT ALL, ha!) I finished piecing the TOP of my Pumpkin Table Runner.  Remember my first post about the single block that I finished?  If not, click here!

I decided to make the runner 7 blocks long instead of 5.  I have a large dining room table, and I wanted it to work.

Yes, I'm showing you each individual block.  I love each and everyone of them!!!!

I wish you could see the beautiful color of my background fabric.  It's a tanish/creamy color with goldish music notes.  It's not as white as its showing up here.

I used 1 & 1/2" strips to make these log cabin blocks.  I cut A TON of them.  I have so many left over.  I cut so many because I was so excited about all the orange I had in my stash.... I think I'll have to make the back 1&1/2" strips!!!!

Isn't the little one so cute?  You should have seen my set up to "audition" all of the fabrics for their proper pumpkin placement... an orange mess!

I really had fun doing the pattern that the Plaid Scottie provided for free!!!  Check it out!

Oh, and there's the big block and two others... There's one more block hanging off the table.

And another picture to show that the blocks are sew together, I just couldn't get them all successfully into one picture.

The pumpkin size order in the runner is : Medium, Small, Medium, Large, Medium, Small, Medium.  I think it works!

I can't wait to finish this!!!  Any quilting ideas?? 

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tissue Holders

How cute are these?!?!?!?!  Holly showed us how to make these at the CMQG retreat.  I LOVE THEM.  They are SO EASY.  You can find a good tutorial here at Sew Much 2 Luv.

Holly did a couple things differently than SM2L's tutorial...  She only used three pieces, and I think its fine for the inside of the tissue holder to be the wrong side of the fabric.  We also didn't zig zag the edges.

For the yellow/green/grey one on top I decided to overlap the flaps by 1/4" so it holds the tissue tighter.  I definitely like this better than leaving it without an overlap (orange one).  Both work great, so its just your personal preference.

Yay!!!  Pretty Tissues!

Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas Applique Potholder

Hello!!!!!!!!!!  I have so much to share I don't even know where to start!!!  My college students are all done with school until January SO that means its time to catch up on my blog! yippeee!!!  I have been sewing, and I even went on a quilt retreat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was my very first quilt retreat and it was with all of my new friends at the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild!!!!

I've decided that the first project I'm going to share is my lovely potholder!

I was super duper excited when I heard that "Mr. T" (known to common folk as Miss Ebony's Studio Die Cutter) would be making an appearance at our retreat.  I had some precious time with him and cut out some FABULOUS shapes (!) including the snowflake applique on this potholder!  Yep, I bet you thought I lovingly cut out the intricate shape... nope, not even close.

I die cut the snowflake along with the fusible web and then ironed it on!  I did a tiny zig zag stitch around the edging to finish it off.  That was a bit tedious for my liking and without a walking foot or anything I was turning corners constantly.  If you don't look too close it looks great! ha!

After consulting with the many intelligent quilters in the room, I decided that my potholder would have one thickness of Insulbright (heat resistant batting) and one thickness of Warm & White.  I wanted my potholder to work!!!!

So I got my two insides and put them on top of (right sides together) my front and back.  I stitched all the way around leaving a 2 inch (or so) section for turning.

Then I trimmed and turned it inside out and top stitched about and 1/8" from the edge.  Then I quilted it a bit... a vertical line, a horizontal line and some inside the star.  You can see it in the picture below of the back.  I just love that red fabric!!!!  I definitely 'puckered' things a bit because of my lack of a foot that walks... teehee.  (side note: I just got my Gram's Janome Jem and it HAS A WALKING FOOT!  The rest of my potholders will not pucker!)

I cut these fun holiday shapes with Mr. T... and many more that aren't pictured!

This is a gift for someone for Christmas... not sure who yet, maybe me!?!?!  
Have a Happy Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pleated mini bag!

Hello Everyone!  I can't believe its been over two weeks since my last post!  ah!  There has been lots of teaching and performing, and not very much sewing.

I was getting antsy because I hadn't made anything in a while soooo I decided to do something!  =)  My little sister's birthday is today, and last weekend we went out to celebrate.  I made her a little pleated bag that I've been wanting to try.

These fabrics are so fun!  I acquired them for my block swap, and was excited to use them for a little project.  I definitely should have basted the pleats before sewing the whole thing together.  They don't 'meet' properly at the bottom.  


I also need to find a better way to do my zipper.  I tried a technique that works for other bags, but I've never done it with lining.  It was okay, but not what I had envisioned.  I don't know about you, but I really don't like it when the zipper goes 'down' into the side seams.  I like a zipper to be straight across.  I also got way to close to the actual zipper while sewing.  Ah, zippers.... someday....

I can't wait to make more of these bags!  I got the idea from See Kate Sew's pleat weeks.  The guest poster was Delia of Delia Creates, and this is the link to the tutorial.

I'll be back sooner rather than later.... we are in the middle of a kitchen remodel too!  Some posts on that later.....